Runako Morton

Runako Shakur Morton (22 July 1978 – 4 March 2012) was a Nevisian cricketer. He was a right-handed batsman and a right-handed offbreak bowler.

A lively, often unpredictable character, Morton was expelled from the West Indian cricketing academy in July 2001 for bad behaviour[1] but continued to play for the Leeward Islands in the Busta Cup. Upon his return in February 2002, he was called into the West Indies squad as a replacement for Marlon Samuels, but he was dropped once again when he lied about his non-appearance in the ICC Champions Trophy in September 2002.

Following a stabbing incident in January 2004, he was arrested[2] but was given a third chance in May 2005 when he was recalled for the South African Test.

He was involved in a bizarre run-out with Shivnarine Chanderpaul in the third Test against New Zealand in 2006. Morton drove the ball to mid-on where Daniel Vettori was fielding and ran to the non striker end. Chanderpaul, at the other end, initially took a few steps down the wicket but then turned and went back to the non-striker’s end. Morton believed he was out, and, furious at his captain, began to walk off. However, following a call to the third umpire, it was decided that Morton had grounded his bat at the non-striker’s end just before Chanderpaul, and hence was safe and that Chanderpaul was out.[3] Video evidence suggests that the umpire’s decision was wrong: although Morton made his ground first, he then left it before the run-out was made, so he should have been the one dismissed.[4]

As a batsman, Morton had a reputation for hitting the ball very hard, but had problems picking up singles in between boundaries.[citation needed] He has the dubious record of the slowest ODI duck which lasted 31 balls in the final of the DLF Cup against Australia.[5]

Morton was arrested for marijuana possession with Tonito Willett after the first day’s play of the Trinidad & Tobago vs. Leeward Islands match.[6]

Morton died on 4 March 2012, when he lost control of the car he was driving along the Sir Solomon Hochoy Highway, hitting a utility pole at Chase Village in Central Trinidad.[7][8][9]