The business was founded in 1875 when the Firm of Geo. W Bennett & Co of St John’s, Antigua opened a branch in Basseterre, St. Kitts. Mr Samuel Lamartine Horsford who was at that time the Accountant at Geo. W Bennett & Co was appointed as Manager of the St. Kitts branch.
In February 1880 the business traded under the name “The Estates Agency Depot” and was a partnership between Messrs Geo. W Bennett & Co and Mr John Hardtman Berkeley, planter of Shadwell Estate, St. Kitts.
In 1885, Mr Samuel Lamartine Horsford purchased the business from its previous owners and started trading as S L Horsford and Co.
On the 31 day of January 1912, a Company Limited By Shares and named S L Horsford and Co. LTD was registered on the island of St Christopher under The Companies Act 1884 (No 20 of 1884) of the Leeward Islands.