About St. Kitts Biomedical Research Foundation
The St. Kitts Biomedical Research Foundation (SKBRF) is a research organization devoted to advancing the development of therapies for human diseases and the application of related models of disease pathophysiology to drug and device evaluation. SKBRF applies extensive expertise in many areas of therapeutic and diagnostic research for which clinically relevant models are feasible, with a focus on ophthalmic, central nervous system and metabolic research, as well as pharmacokinetic and safety studies.
SKBRF is seeking a medical or veterinary ophthalmologist to perform preclinical examination and procedures related to contract research engagements and internal research and development. The position requires expertise with the objectives, methodologies, and literature of preclinical ophthalmic research related to characterizing disease pathophysiology, and evaluating the efficacy, pharmacology and safety of new therapeutics, medical devices, and drug delivery technologies. Additionally, the position will require the candidate to apply knowledge and expertise in identifying and proposing new or improved ophthalmic model development opportunities and for managing the associated characterization and validation of those models in multiple disease areas.
An important component of the ophthalmic research and commercialization responsibilities will include communication with research sponsors to define development objectives and associated technical and scientific considerations critical to effective clinical translational. Proficiency with associated research, imaging, and diagnostic methods and familiarity with related ophthalmic fields is critical for both direct participation in data collection and interpretation, and effective communication of company capabilities, as well as management and oversight of project team members who may be delegated specific technical responsibilities.
- Lead the execution and evaluation of in vivo ophthalmic interventions and examinations, and generation of associated methodologies and evaluation criteria for both sponsor-funded and internal R&D projects and programs
- Development of new research methodologies and test systems, and optimization of existing systems
- Oversee and guide scientific practice and data quality of technical staff and data manager
- Oversee ophthalmic data generation and optimization of protocol-specified study support materials such as data entry and analysis templates, and protocol specific standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Contribute to maintenance of facility good laboratory practices (GLPs) and AAALAC credentials
- Contribute to scientific manuscripts and the technical aspects of business plans and marketing materials
- Present company research capabilities and study outcomes at relevant scientific meetings
- Support on-site and off-site client, inspector, and vendor interactions
- Advance scientific and commercial interactions with existing ophthalmology focused collaborating and sponsoring organizations to expand platform impact and sponsor base.
- M.D. or D.V.M. degree with 2 or more years of experience within the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and/or contract research industry or a competitive academic setting
- Minimum of 2 years of laboratory experience working with in vivo and in vitromodels, preferably including mammalian translational models
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to the unique challenges of fast-paced research environments
- Broad experience in ophthalmic microsurgical and laser procedures
- Experience working in a protocol driven environment on in vivo and/or in vitromodels
- Firm understanding of research and development as pertains to drug development
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and presentation skills and comfort interacting with external sponsors
- Experience supervising junior scientists and research technicians
- Experience working with and under IACUC oversight in AAALAC-accredited facilities preferred.
Interested candidates may send their resumes directly to the attention of Akela Edinborough via email address: [email protected], on or before Friday 17 March, 2023.