Basseterre, St. Kitts, September 6, 2018 (SKNIS): The formal meeting of the Cabinet took place on Monday, September 03, 2018. The meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Dr. the Honourable Timothy Harris. Here are the salient matters that were discussed and the decisions taken that are designed to advance the growth and development of the country:
- In recognition of the National Day of Prayer and Fasting on Monday, September 03, Reverend Dr. Calvin Hazel of the Calvary Baptist Tabernacle came to pray with the Cabinet, Government and people of St. Kitts and Nevis.
- After the prayer, the Honourable Attorney General prepped the Cabinet for Parliament on September 6, 2018.
- Cabinet agreed to support the candidacy of General Edward Croft for the post of Director-General of the Caribbean Financial Action Task Force.
- Cabinet was updated by the National Security Adviser and the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of National Security on the composition of the National Security Strategic Formulation Committee. It is a nine-member committee charged to assist with the development of a National Security Policy for the Federation. It is a non-political committee with members drawn from the clergy, former security personnel, youth, Ministry of Health, personnel in Information Technology (IT) and the banking sector.
- Cabinet heard presentations from the councillors of the SIDF (Sugar Industry Diversification Foundation) on matters pertaining to financial and legal aspects of the Foundation.
- Cabinet considered submissions for foreign direct investment in the Federation.
- NEMA (National Emergency Management Agency) provided the Cabinet with a list of shelters for use during the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season.
- Cabinet was advised on the nomination of eight (8) persons for national awards on the 35th Anniversary of Independence. These names will be announced later after the nominees have been informed and have accepted.